Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Forming An Opportunity Belief

  1. I would say there is an opportunity to prevent many car accidents by reducing distracted driving. 
  2. Driving a far distance can get boring, especially if you are alone. Often, people, especially teenagers, resort to scrolling through Instagram, responding to texts, changing the music, and many other tasks on their phones and around them while driving. This distracted driving often keeps drivers’ eyes off the road and focused on other things. This can cause accidents, and even could really hurt pedestrians or other drivers. This is not a problem that occurs all of the time, but I do think it happens pretty often. I have reminded my friends countless times to get off their phones while driving, I can only imagine how often they are on them when I am not in the car. While there are a few actions that have already been taken, such as certain cars displaying a warning message when drivers tap on the dashboard screen while the car is in motion, and apps that turn off phone capabilities when driving, more can be done to prevent distracted driving. I am 100% positive that this problem exists and there is an unmet need. 
  3. Prototypical Customers: 17 year old boy, 52 year old mom, 22 year old female student 
  4. What is the exact nature of the need? 
        a. I think this is a pretty serious issue. Most of my friends do it honestly. 
         b. I try to set a good example by driving carefully and focusing on the road in front of my kids. I will admit that I have done it a few times but I work hard not to.  
         c.  I feel like a lot of people already know not to do stuff on their phone while driving. I don’t really do it. 
 
Do you think there is currently a way to prevent this need? 
         a. Don’t they have like an app or something? I don’t know people who use it. 
         b. I think that just talking about the dangers is a good want to prevent it. 
         c. Not really. 
 
How are you currently addressing this need yourself? 
         a. I usually put my phone in the cup holder of my car. It kinda helps. 
         b. I rarely look at my phone while I drive. I use the buttons on my steering wheel to answer calls if I think it’s an emergency. 
         c. I just don’t look at my phone when I drive.  
 
How long do you think you've had the need to solve this? 
         a. I mean I’ve had my phone and car since I was 16 so since then. 
         b. About the past 5 to 10 years. The use of phones has changed so much. We don’t even realize how often we are on them. 
         c. For a while, since I’ve had my car at least. 
 
Would you be happy if there was a permanent solution to this need? 
         a. Happy? Maybe. I would probably feel safer. 
         b. Yes! I think there needs to be a solution as soon as possible. 
         c. Yes but I don’t know if there can be a solution. 

5. Reflection: I was slightly surprised by the reactions I received. I thought that someone would say a great way to prevent this problem, but there are none currently. The overall attitude of all three people I interviewed was that there was a problem but not a viable or applicable solution yet. This further proves the idea that preventing distracted driving is an unmet need. 
6. I understand that there are a few minor solutions, such as lockdown apps and placing your phone in a hidden place, but every current solution has to be self-enforced. I believe the problem of distracted driving affects enough people that there should be a universal solution to save lives and prevent accidents. Therefore, I believe the original opportunity is still 90% there. This solution may not be a business idea, it could be an app or a law or combination of all three. I believe that the accidents caused by distracted driving raise awareness, but I am unsure if people will adapt on their own.  

4 comments:

  1. I definitely agree that this is a major problem that many struggle with today. We are so attached to our phones and feel the need to pick them up every five seconds to respond immediately. I liked how you interviewed people of different ages. Most people realize that it's a problem but aren't really too affected by it. I definitely agree that if they want a solution, they have to want to carry it out themselves. If the problem doesn't affect them, then they won't want to fix it. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You thought of a great opportunity, and as someone who has been rear-ended by a distracted driver I can't agree with you more that it is a huge problem today. I'm not sure what else could be done outside of what you mentioned, other than organizations continuing to advertise the dangers of being on a phone while driving. Great post and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Distracted driving is a curse, great idea. Especially nowadays where our entire lives are connected to our phones. Though to be fair there is no real way to regulate people, as everything is self regulated (which you did point out in your reflection). Maybe a good direction to go in would be an ad campaign or something that would make people actively combat distracted driving of their own volition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe this to be one of the biggest epidemics of our time. One of the biggest number of accidents is caused by teenage “distracted” driving and I admire you for choosing this issue. I believe that it’s something that needs to be addressed and I’m glad someone is focusing on resolving it. I have to admit there have been times I have caught myself scrolling through social media or replying to a “snap” and it’s a scary thought to face that I could’ve caused an injury or hurt someone (besides myself) really badly. Awesome post overall!

    ReplyDelete