Thursday, April 16, 2020

Celebrating Failure


  1. A time I failed this semester was on my first exam in one of my Economics classes. I studied for hours on end for over two weeks. I went to every lecture, redid every assignment multiple times and even rewrote my notes so that they would stick better in my head. I did not get an actual F, but I did not feel as though my grade was equivalent to the amount of work I put in; to me, this was a failure.
  2. Through this failure, I knew I needed to change something in order to not make the same mistakes as last time. I went to my professor and asked me what would be the best method. He recommended reading the textbook pages on the “harder” topics, or the material that took me a little longer to understand. After doing this, I was able to get an A on the next exam by dedicating the same amount of time studying, just in a more efficient way. I learned that switching up the presentation of information, such as reading the textbook’s language, is a useful way to have the information explained in a different way. Since then, I have always read the textbook of the information we go over in lecture the same day. 
  3. Failure is a really hard thing to grasp, especially at first. Receiving the grade I did on the first exam, after studying for so long, felt like a slap in the face. Yet, the failure I experienced just made me want to do better. I felt as though I had something to prove. This class has taught me that the thought process has failure built in. I have learned that failure is such an important part of the path to success. Through this class I have also found that failure gives me that edge to do better in the next trial. I think I am definitely more likely to take a risk now than I was a few months ago.

2 comments:

  1. Hey there Nicole! I think everyone in college has experienced something similar to your situation. It is really a 'slap in the face' like you described when you have been working really hard towards something and then not getting the outcome you feel you deserve. It is smart to work on the things that is harder for you to grasp rather than overwhelming yourself with the entire coursework.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nicole, I know the feeling of putting in your best effort possible and still not achieving the results that you expected, and it's a hard feeling to manage. I think that it's great you recognized an opportunity for improvement and took the initiative to speak with your professor, and I'm glad you got the A on the next exam!

    ReplyDelete